Fantastically simple and luxe! Gail Blacker NYC cocktail dress from the 1980s from my personal collection. Worn to several Washington, DC black tie political events--and once on a piano in the Presidential suite of a Florida hotel (see photos). Photos aren't going to do this beautiful black, heavy silk mid calf dress with fitted waist and two flowing black panels attached at the hip with beautiful pleating and then that dropping the full length of the skirt. Classic 1980s rounded shoulder pads. Round neck. Long tapered sleeves. Back hidden zipper. Marked large but Plus-Sized. Fully lined. One owner--me.
You are not going to find Gail Blacker very often. And references to her work as a designer are hard to find as well. A NYT's article from 1984 reads: "Le Grand Hotel/Tales of Hoffmann, 471 West Broadway, is the oldest clothing shop in the area. Conceived 17 years ago as a showcase for new American talent, it specializes in women's party clothes by designers such as Neil Bieff, Gail Blacker, Adam Beall and Diane Pernet. "
Bizarre fact: Gail Blacker designed the "Big Suit" worn by David Byrnes of the Talking Heads in the movie "Stop Making Sense."
Brand/Designer: Gail Blacker NYC
Origin: Owners Private Collection
Marked Size: Large (see dimensions--Plus sized)
**Please check the measurements provided below before purchasing. Vintage clothing sizes often fit much smaller than modern sizes.**
Dimensions (clothing is measured flat and unstretched):
* Bust: 20” (doubled = 40")
* Waist: 16" (doubled = 32")
* Hips: 18" (doubled = 36")
* Length: 47"
* Other: 21.5" Sleeves
* Dress: 100% Silk
* Lining: Synthetic
* Lipstick Girl Vintage (LGV) is a smoke-free, pet-friendly environment. Garments and other items are handled and stored in a pet-free, restricted area, however there is a potential for exposure. Due to the age of the items, LGV cannot guarantee against any previous contact with smoke or other allergens.
* All items are vintage and pre-owned. We disclose any flaws we find, however, it is possible that a flaw has been accidentally overlooked. We will offer a refund only if an item has been largely misrepresented.
* Please note that Lipstick Girl Vintage regularly sells items of historical significance, and, from time to time, some of these items might be considered controversial in nature. Lipstick Girl Vintage endeavors to offer these items for sale as sensitively as possible, by trying to balance our abhorrence for cruelty and respect for the important historic nature of many of these garments. What we wear, and how that has changed over time, is part of our story.
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Request a cancellation within: 3 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
The confidentiality of my customers is important important to me. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.