Striking 1980s George Williams Fortuny-style (or "Marii") pleated red satin gown. Classic 80s lines with padded, rounded shoulders, rounded neckline and fitted waist. Select a rhinestone or metallic belt to make this dress your own! Bodice is diagonally pleated across the front of the bodice. Long sleeves have vertical pleating and a snap closure at the wrist. The back of the bodice has horizontal pleating and a hidden zipper closure. The skirt flares and is constructed of smooth red satin with box pleating. Gorgeous, elegant flow to the back of the gown enhanced by the tulle underskirt and lining.
This label is likely a derivation of the “George F Couture” label. George F specialized in mirroring the "Marii" pleating introduced by Mary McFadden and very popular in the 1980s. The Marii pleating invented by McFadden reflected her love of Fortuny Italian pleating. No one has ever discovered all the secrets to the Fortuny pleat but many, many have tried! George F Couture are beautifully constructed and were sold only at very high end stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus.
Size: US Size 10
**Please check the dimensions provided below before purchasing. Vintage clothing sizes often fit much smaller than modern sizes**
Dimensions (clothing is measured flat and un-stretched):
* Bust: 18”
* Waist: 13”
* Hips: 18” (full skirt with plenty of room)
* Other: Sleeves: 22”Maker: George Williams New York
Origin: Made in USA
Condition: Very good. Some soil to hemline a few stains on skirt (see photos).
*Outer: 100% Polyester
Find my etsyshop loaded with vintage finds at:
For both vintage and contemporary finds go to:
* Lipstick Girl Vintage (LGV) is a smoke-free, pet-friendly environment. Garments and other items are handled and stored in a pet-free, restricted area, however there is a potential for exposure. Due to the age of the items, LGV cannot guarantee against any previous contact with smoke or other allergens.
* All items are vintage and pre-owned. We disclose any flaws we find, however, it is possible that a flaw has been accidentally overlooked. We will offer a refund only if an item has been largely misrepresented.
* Please note that Lipstick Girl Vintage regularly sells items of historical significance, and, from time to time, some of these items might be considered controversial in nature. Lipstick Girl Vintage endeavors to offer these items for sale as sensitively as possible, by trying to balance our abhorrence for cruelty and respect for the important historic nature of many of these garments. What we wear, and how that has changed over time, is part of our story.
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
The confidentiality of my customers is important important to me. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.